2016 is here! Here’s some things that didn’t make it into blog posts in 2015 as well as some things that are new in January…
I’ve been testing new tools in several capacities, particularly web archiving, and I wanted a way to informally share progress with colleagues in the Archives. In 2015, I set-up a couple “Open Cube” sessions and invited staff to stop by anytime during an hour for a quick demo. I found this really fun and hope to do more of these this year.
Between October – November 2015, I took an online metadata design and implementation course through Library Juice Academy. The course provided a refresher of some concepts, introduced new things, and included a lot of hands-on assignments.
In December, I attended the ACRL New England Scholarly Communication Interest Group Copyright Boot Camp hosted by UMass Boston. This two-day workshop was really informative. One of my fellowship goals is to participate in workshops or attend conferences that are related, but different from my main area of interests. I don’t have much experience with scholarly communications, so this workshop was a perfect introduction. (see Program).
I’ve recently joined the OCLC Web Archiving Metadata (WAM) working group. The goals and activities for the group are still in development, but I’m really excited to be working in this area.
Lastly, I helped organize two Wikipedia events for the MIT Independent Activities Period (IAP) in January 2016. I worked with Greta Kuriger Suiter (MIT Libraries), Phoebe Ayers (MIT Libraries), Rebecca Thorndike-Breeze (MIT CMS/W), and Amy Carleton (MIT CMS/W). On January 22 we had two complimentary events. The first event was a session on creating research assignments that use Wikipedia to achieve key learning objectives. The session was well attended and led by Amy and Rebecca. We followed this session with an Introduction to Wikipedia edit-a-thon. We covered basic how-to’s of Wikipedia and had a couple hours of open editing. We found that most folks didn’t stay to edit after the introduction portion. I think the lack of a theme for the edit-a-thon was one reason folks didn’t stay to work on editing. I’ve found that one of the most daunting tasks for new editors is picking a topic or article to work on!
On Friday, January 29, we connected with the Black WikiHistory Month events and hosted a Writing Black History into Wikipedia edit-a-thon. We were really impressed at how much work the small group of attendees accomplished in a just a few hours. The attendees had varying levels of Wikipedia editing experience, but were very excited about the importance of the topic. You can see the articles we added or expanded on the Meet-Up page.